Vital Records (Birth, Marriage & Death Certificates)

If you are getting married, you will need to apply for a marriage license. Please click here for information on how to apply for a marriage license 

If you need a copy of your existing Marriage License, Birth Certificate or Death Certificate, see the information below

Requesting copies of vital records:

Vital Records are confidential records and can be requested by completing a form by qualified persons only. Qualified persons are:

The person whose record is recorded

His or her issue (Child, Child’s Child, etc.)

Parent or Guardian (must show original proof for Guardianship)

Spouse (or Legally Registered Partner)



Others in conduct of their official duties: Attorneys, Title Examiners, Members of Legally Incorporated Genealogical Societies, Funeral Directors (Death records only), Informant listed on Death Record, Court Order.

Where to go to get certified copies:

Certified copies of Birth, Marriage & Death Certificates can be requested at the Town Clerk’s Department and are issued after you complete a request form.

To request copies, you will need to bring with you:

Valid, non-expired Government Issued ID (Driver’s License or other Government issued picture ID)

Cash or check

Price for Copies:

$20 for the first copy of a request and $15 for each additional copy for the same request at the time of the original request

For out of State requests:

To request copies of Vital Records if you live out of State, send the following items below to the Town Clerk’s Department to:

Johnston Town Hall
Attn: Town Clerk’s Department
1385 Hartford Avenue
Johnston, RI 02919

Photocopy of your Driver’s License or other current non-expired Government Issued Picture ID
Check in the amount of $20 for the first copy of a request and $15 for each additional copy for the same request at the time of the original request
Self- addressed stamped envelope
Print & complete one of the following forms below
Have your signature on the form notarized



The Office of the Town Clerk

The Town Clerk’s Department is responsible for:

  • Town records

  • Town Council support and records

  • Recording and storage of land evidence records

  • Probate Court records

  • Public Records Requests

  • Issuance of marriage licenses, birth certificates and also issues certified copies of marriage, birth and death records

  • Business Licenses

  • Liquor Licenses
  • Claims